Hajdúnánás is in Hungary, it is one of the Hajdú towns. It is located on the northern fringe of the Great Hungarian Plain, 40 km from Debrecen to the north-east.
It was first mentioned in the 13th century as Nánásmonostora. The Mongols utterly destroyed it in 1241 and it had no population in 1301.
Nána was given to the Serbian Brankovics György in 1421 then it went to Governor Hunyadi János. It was owned by Corvin János, the illegitimate son of King Matthias Corvinus in the 1490s.
The Ottomans occupied it in 1556. We know that it had 25 houses at that time.
In the letter of Prince Bocskai István, it was called an “empty, deserted land” in 1605. Yet, it was made a Hajdú town in 1606 and 1800-2000 Hajdú soldiers arrived there. They were given a collective nobility and the town became an agricultural town.
The inhabitants had to flee many times from the Turks. The town has suffered a lot during the Kuruc wars, too.
It was so much destroyed in 1676 that it was a deserted place for ten years. The Hajdús of Nána joined the Kuruc troops of Prince Rákóczi Ferenc and the Imperial troops have sacked the settlement twice in revenge of that.