The castle of Bálványos is situated in Kolozs county of Transylvania, now Romania. (In Romanian: Unguraș, in German: Schlosswall) It was first mentioned in 1269. We don’t detail here its rich medieval history. King Matthias Corvinus gifted the castle in 1484 to the Voivode of Moldavia who had fled to Transylvania from the Turks. The Voivode and his family had owned it until 1538. It was the year when the Voivode of Transylvania, Majláth István laid siege on the castle on behalf of the Hungarian King Szapolyai because the castle was on the usurper King Habsburg Ferdinand’s side.
Two years after taking the castle, Majláth sold it to the bishop of Várad, the great statesman called Martinuzzi György for 8,000 gold Forints and in exchange for one more castle called the castle of Borberek at Alvinc.
It was the bishop who used the castle of Bálványos’ stones for building the castle of Szamosújvár aka “Új (New) Bálványos”. This bishop, also called Fráter György, was the man without who the Principality of Transylvania wouldn’t have been born. Later he was assassinated by King Habsburg Ferdinand in 1552 in his palace at Alvinc.
Here are a few pictures of Bálványos: