Felsőkubin (Vyšný Kubín) is in the district of Zsolna in Árva County. The settlement is located in the Upper lands/Horná Zem/Felvidék, now Slovakia.
The village was founded in 1325 by the heirs of the Hungarian landlord called Hudkont of Liptó. They were the ancestors of the Kubinyi and the Meskó families who owned the place after them.
King Lajos the Great confirmed the Kubinyi family’s ownership in 1355. The first mentioning of the village is from 1325 when it was called “Superior Kolbin” and “Felseukolbin”.
The Országh-Gazda and the Ivanovics families also owned the village. It was the Kubinyi family who built the fortified late-renaissance palace there in the 17th century.
The building was rebuilt in the 19th century in a Classicist style. Alsókubin became a so-called “articular” place of Árva County in 1681. According to the Article of the law made in 1681, each northern-Hungarian county was allowed to have only two settlements where the Protestants were allowed to hold their religious services. The church of the village was devoted to the Holy Trinity and was built on the top of a late Gothic structure at the end of the 15th century but it was rebuilt in the 17th century. You can see a nice statue in the Gothic style in it.