Selected Passages from Hungarian-Ottoman Wars between 1372-1699



Dobóc (Dubovec) is located near to Károlyváros (Karlovac) in Croatia, it is the old castle of the new city: Stari Grad Dubovac.

The Croatian name of the city tells us that the area was covered by oak forests.

The castle was defending the road going along the Kupa River; the Croatian road system was following the ancient Roman roads. You can find the remains of the St. Michael Church near to the castle.

Once there was a guard-tower on the slope leading to the castle`s gate. The name of Dobovác first appeared in clerical documents in 1339, the place had belonged to the Dobovác Clan. At the end of the 14th century, the castle was given to the Czudar brothers (one of them was Imre, the Bishop of Eger) of Onód by the Hungarian King Louis I.

Then, the Csupor family of Monoszló took their place in the 15th century. The Blagaji family was the next owner. Bán (Duke) István (Stephen) Frangepán got the castle in 1442. Their family line of Veglia owned it until Katalin Frangepán and Miklós (Nicholas) Zrínyi got married in 1544 and it has gone to the Zrínyi family. (István Frangepán, the elder brother of Katalin Frangepán had gifted the castle in 1550 to his cousins, the Zrínyi counts, though.)

The Turks have endangered the area especially in 1511, 1522 and in 1540 but the settlement was saved because of its castle. Due to the construction of the Fort of Karlovac (Károlyváros), the last Turk raid was in 1578.

The Habsburg king bought the castle in 1582 from György Zrínyi for 14,000 Gold Forints, and Dubovác was placed under the command of Karlovac Castle.

After the unsuccessful Frangepán-Zrínyi conspiration against the king in 1671, Dubovác was regarded more and more as part of Karlovac Castle, particularly during the command of General J. Herberstein.

Then, the old castle was used as a storage building in the 18th century and similarly, it was functioning as a gunpowder storage building in the 19th century. Today there is a hotel and a museum in it and there are historical festivals each summer.

Enjoy the video:

Close Menu