Csíkménaság is also in Transylvania, in Székelyföld / Székely Land. It is now in Romania, called Armășeni.
The village is 13 km from the town of Csíkszereda. The village is famous for its fortified church.
It was first written in writing in 1567. As for the Transylvanian Principality in the 16th-17th century, the Székely nation was counted in the traditional alliance of the “three nations” (Hungarian noblemen, Saxons, and Székely guardsmen) and however huge centralized power the Prince of Transylvania possessed, he had to rely on their support.
These tough mountain people were mostly soldiers and they guarded the mountains and their passes. In the 16th century, many of them decided to become a peasant and pay taxes instead of the hard life of a soldier. Prince Báthory Zsigmond could muster 24,000 soldiers in his camp in 1595. Most of them had bows and arrows as well as spears but 9,200 of them were supplied with rifles. They were concerned about their ancient privileges – to be free soldiers and not peasants – and in the 15th-16th centuries were often divided by religion.
In the 17th century, they still used their old runic alphabet. You are supposed to read it from right to left.
Csíkménaság is also famous for its oat and hemp production. Its Romanesque style church was rebuilt in the Gothic style in the 15th century and it was renovated in 1655. Its winged altar was made in 1543 and it is displayed in the Hungarian National Museum in Budapest. The bells of the church were made in 1582 and in 1604.
It is a beautiful Székely village, and the ancient frescoes are also worth seeing.