Atya (Sarengrad) is a village in Croatia, in the historical area of the Szerémség. It is on the right side of the Danube River, 8 km from Újlak. The name „Sarengrad“ stands for the „castle of the Szár family“. The Hungarians call its castle “Atyavár”.
The place was first mentioned in 1275. Its castle was built in the middle of the 14th century by the Comes of Nyitra, László Szár and it used to guard the crossing place on the Danube. It belonged to the Szár (aka Atyai, Kükei, Vér) family which was related to the Anjard clan who appointed its castellans before 1403.
Later, the Hungarian king dispelled the Kükei family from the owners because they were not loyal. King Zsigmond gave it to Bán (Duke) János Maróti in 1398. The Maróti family ceased to exist after 1470 so the castle frequently changed owners. At that time, the castle had 24 villages attached to it. The Turks occupied the place in August 1526 and left only in 1686. You can see only some walls and a tower which survived the perilous times. Here is a short video about the castle: