Kálló castle was a borderland castle of the north. It is located in Hungary. The valiant Hussars of Kálló were as famous as the warriors of Eger. The size of the fort was only 58X52 meters.
The site of the castle belonged to the Kállay family and its importance has increased when the Ottomans appeared in Szabolcs County in 1554. The Captain of Kassa, Rübel / Raubel, had the castle reinforced with a palisade between 1570-1573 because he was reported that the Turks were planning to build a fort nearby.
The first captain became Prépostváry Bálint and the constructions went on between 1570-83, under the supervision of Guilio Baldigara. It was obviously blocking the Ottoman expansion by stopping the raiding parties that were softening up the enemy’s lands even during the truce.
It was not surprising that Pasha Mustapha of Buda castle urged the destruction of Kálló in 1575 because this renowned Prépostváry was making the raids of the Tatar-Turk riders impossible in the area.
Csapy Kristóf was its captain in 1587 and Székely György in 1590.
Káthay Mihály was its captain in 1600 who gladly opened the gates before Prince Bocskay István in 1604. He became Bocskay’s inner man later. Bocskay’s sudden death somehow was accused of Káthay and the angered Haidú soldiers slaughtered him in Kassa (Kaschau / Kosice).
Rákóczi Lajos and Lónyay András followed him in Kálló’s captaincy. The Treaty of Vienna gave the fort to the Emperor but it surrendered before Prince Bethlen Gábor of Transylvania in 1619. It was the starting place for the Prince to lead his armies against the Habsburgs. The area went to the Transylvanians again in 1645.
After the death of Prince Rákóczi György I, the German mercenaries took the fort over. They were capable of beating back the army of the Pasha of Buda, Kuchuk Mehmed in the 1660s.
During the anti-Habsburg war of independence, Prince Rákóczi Ferenc gave the order to pull the fort down and it was carried out in 1709. The Reformed Church of the town was allegedly built from the material of the fort.
Now, only a marble plate commemorates the deeds of the members of the Valiant Order who lived and died there.